Wednesday, December 23, 2009

Will making a planter box for flowers under an Oak tree, with dirt right up to the tree trunk kill my tree?

Last night I was discussing this with my father and he said that my planter (which has dirt about a foot high encircling the tree about 18 inches out all way around) will kill my tree eventually. I have seen people around here with these planters before, but is this true? Is so, how do you correctly make a planter? The tree is about 18 years old.Will making a planter box for flowers under an Oak tree, with dirt right up to the tree trunk kill my tree?
putting either soil or mulch up against the trunk of a tree provides a place for moisture to hang out and eventually rot the base of the tree.....





the way you said, is the same as if you had planted the tree too deep... and that will also kill it eventually....





at least you didn't put it farther out from the trunk too... that will smother the tree .. a long, slow death from not being able to get oxygen....





if you just have to have a planter there, move it out from the trunk a couple feet... a raised bed a foot wide all the way around, out that far, will still allow the tree what it needs and you'll get somewhere to plant..... of course, you'll need two walls to contain your soil then, too.....but your tree will thank you.....





I was thrilled to see these planters taking into account just what I've been saying.... no soil around the trunk and air to get to it!!... wow...





http://www.mastergardenproducts.com/esta鈥?/a>





read 'raising the grade' and 'planters' here...





http://pods.dasnr.okstate.edu/docushare/鈥?/a>





that would be a good read for the first poster, too!....Will making a planter box for flowers under an Oak tree, with dirt right up to the tree trunk kill my tree?
Hi:


I am a landscaper and designer. Your Oak tree will be fine. Your tree is established and the main tap roots and other roots are underneath the ground. I recommend to clients to do a raised bed around trees or a container garden, like you are doing. I don't think your planter will hurt the Oak tree. I will link you to the site map of my website. There are many articles, tips and techniques that you and your father may be able to use. Good luck to you and remember, to choose shade flowers. Have a great day!


Kimberly





http://www.landscape-solutions-for-you.c鈥?/a>
I wouldn't take the chance. I had a pine tree that was growing in a garden that wasn't level. I used two truckfuls of compost to even out the garden. Within two years, the tree became weak (branches kept falling, the bark looked horrible). Then last winter, the tree came down after a wind storm.


I also made a raised flower bed around an oak tree (about 20 years old). The same thing is happening. big branches come down, it looks unhealthy. I don't really care about the pine, but the oak tree is in a position to fall on my house.


I would amend the soil that's already there with compost and peat. Not raise it. plant the flowers in the amended soil, put up some kind of border. Good luck with whatever You decide.
  • hair highlight ideas
  • oil
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment