Wednesday, December 23, 2009

What is the best commercial pattern to use when making a corset suitable for real, serious tight-lacing?

I am a novice to intermediate ';seamstress'; and have been wearing corsets for various occasions for about three years. I'm getting tired of spending $200-$300 for each quality custom made garment, and would like to try my hand at making my own. I've looked at the patterns available from ';The Big 3'; companies, but they seem somewhat, I don't know- flimsy? There isn't any lining, no tape, only show single laces, etc. I've scoured various costumer and corset ';fan'; sites and come across several reprinted or historically accurate patterns, but without having the pattern in front of me, I'm not sure how involved they are. Can anyone suggest one that can be made to sustain actual waist-reduction? I'm not the best tailor out there, but am confident with time and patience I can handle a moderately advnaced pattern. I know the materials used are just as important, so any retailers that you have had good experiences with as far as those go would be much appreciated as well. Thanks so much!What is the best commercial pattern to use when making a corset suitable for real, serious tight-lacing?
You are correct in guessing that the ';big 3'; won't have the kind of corset pattern you want. They are costumes first and clothing second, and even the ';historical'; patterns are at best inspired by historical clothing, using modern layouts and construction techniques.





You claim to have scoured costumer and corset sites. Was AlterYears one of them? If you've been there and *they* didn't make you happy, I can't think of any place else to send you.





I'd rather not link directly to the site, as doing so smacks of spam to me, but it's pretty easy to find via an Internet search.What is the best commercial pattern to use when making a corset suitable for real, serious tight-lacing?
I think latex would be the way to go. What's the occasion?

No comments:

Post a Comment