Wednesday, December 23, 2009

Is making a lot of arts and crafts and fine motor activities proven to improve pronunciation in students?

I am a teacher and I was mentioned this by a parent, but sincerely I have never heard about it neither have I been able to find studies that support it. I would like to know if there is a positive correlation and also if it works in primary school students as well. Thanks!Is making a lot of arts and crafts and fine motor activities proven to improve pronunciation in students?
I've been searching and can't find anything other than highly scientific medical reading. But I had heard of this on a ';discovery'; type show. It was saying that using hands is what stimulates communication centers in brain to guide infants to speak. Maybe that's why pat-a-cake was stumbled upon. It was just something noticed that more hand use preceded verbal skills. The scientific paper I was reading was on a study of stoke victims %26amp; aspasiac people. Something about healthy right handed people begining speech sooner so the theory is that left hemisphere brain stimulation had something to do with it. Study proposed victim of left brain stroke should have more focus on regaining right hand mobility before (or at same time) as speech therapy.





I searched ';hand dexterity correlation with language skills.'; I don't know how deep you want to go into so I'll not link those $100 / word papers :-)





But my answer is YES, I've heard of that too.

No comments:

Post a Comment