Wednesday, December 23, 2009

How can I protect paint on a sculpture without making it too shiny?

I want to make some polymer clay sculptures, which I paint over instead of completely using colored clays. To protect the acrylic paint, I usually go over it with glaze afterward.





What are some better ways to protect the paint without making it too shiny? Or what are some better paint choices that won't easily scratch off?How can I protect paint on a sculpture without making it too shiny?
instead of using a gloss finish, which will make your work shiny, you want to look for a finish that says matte on it. a matte finish will leave your work protected, but not shiny.How can I protect paint on a sculpture without making it too shiny?
I sometimes use acrylic paint on my terra-cotta sculptures. I use an oil based wax encaustic over the entire sculpture when I do so. I thin it with paint thinner. It dries hard and with no shine.





There are other no-shine acrylic finishers on the market, but I have never used them.





Hope this helps!
There are a number of acrylic matte varnishes available from most art stores.

No comments:

Post a Comment