Friday, January 8, 2010

I am making muffins and it calls for baking powder but I only have baking soda. Could I use it?

My dads b-day is this Wednesday and I want to make him choclate muffins but I need baking powder and I only have baking soda. I need answers fast, please!I am making muffins and it calls for baking powder but I only have baking soda. Could I use it?
Here are some substitutions for the baking powder.





Per 1 tsp of baking powder you can use:


*1/4 tsp baking soda + 5/8 tsp cream of tartar


*1/4 tsp baking soda + 1/2 cup buttermilk (decrease liquid by 1/2 cup)


*1/4 tsp baking soda + 1/4-1/2 tsp molasses





To make your own buttermilk, put 1/2 a tbsp of vinegar OR lemon juice into a measuring cup. Then add milk to it to measure a 1/2 cup. Let sit for about 5 minutes.





Hope this helps!I am making muffins and it calls for baking powder but I only have baking soda. Could I use it?
I am going with ha!!! do as she says
no!
There's no substituting, you gotta go to the store, it's usually sold in a can can't remember brand names, but one is a reddish can with an Indian Chief head on the label, or the other I buy has a picture of a little Dutch girl with wooden shoes on the label, it's pretty inexpensive, or go borrow from a neighbor
No, they can't be substituted.
No those are two seperate ingredients. Baking powder makes the muffins rise and I'm not quite sure what baking soda does.
Nope
No. You can add things to it to make a substitute, but its better to buy baking powder. If you just substitute baking soda your muffins might not rise properly and they will taste bitter.
BAKING POWDER 鈥?There are three ways you can substitute for baking powder, depending on the recipe:


1 teaspoon baking powder equals 1/4 teaspoon baking soda plus 1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar; or, 1 teaspoon baking powder equals 1/2 teaspoon baking soda plus 1/2 cup buttermilk or plain yogurt: and 1 teaspoon baking powder also equals 1/4 teaspoon baking soda plus 1/3 cup molasses. When using the substitutions that include liquid, reduce other liquid in recipe accordingly.
no, they are completely different substances. You will need to get the baking powder.
Go and buy baking powder. Subs just won't give the same results. Even when cooking with buttermilk or sour milk, you still need some baking powder along with the baking soda for you baked goods to rise properly.





Good luck!
  • hair highlight ideas
  • oil
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment