Friday, January 8, 2010

How can I determine yarn gauge in crochet without making a full swatch?

I found a pattern I like that calls for bulky yarn and a 6.5 hook. I found some yarn that I like that doesn't list a size, only a gauge with a size 10 hook. How can I tell if it will work in my pattern without making a swatch? I don't want to buy the yarn if I can't use it.How can I determine yarn gauge in crochet without making a full swatch?
Using a yarn that recommends using a 10 probably can't replace a yarn that is using a 6.5. The yarn would double the size of your pattern using a 10, and would not work using a 6.5 due to it's size.





You can always edit a pattern. If you know what stitch the pattern is using and what multiples that stitch works in, you can scale it down to match the bigger yarn.How can I determine yarn gauge in crochet without making a full swatch?
Don't rely on the guage listed on the yarn itself as a guide. Only go by the guage suggestion on your pattern.





Most patterns will specify the yarn type and brand used, but you can interchange if you're using the same weight of yarn:





superfine, baby, -- 2


sport yarn----- 3


worsted 4


bullky-- 5


super bulky 6





If your pattern calls for bulky yarn, then make sure that you're buying yarn that specifies that its bulky, chunky or 5 for fiber.
  • hair highlight ideas
  • oil
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment